Monday, August 15, 2011

i am a librarian because...

I am 27 and still young at that I supposed. I am currently taking my master's program from the University of Santo Tomas and writing a thesis paper is so freaking hard!


Alright so why I am a professional librarian? It's not accidental unlike some of my classmates. It's actually planned way before I knew what I wanted to take up in college.


First, when I was in 5th grade, I remember telling my classmates that I am the 'Librarian in Charge" of our school, because then we don't have a librarian. Books were housed in the principal's office and no one would dare use them, except me and some of my friends. And I really enjoyed doing it.


Second, we are a family of librarians, from my paternal grandmother down to my second degree cousins. There are 6 of us who are licensed librarians and there are 2 more who are going to take up the Licensure Examination for Librarians this coming November, one being my sister.


When I am about to graduate from elementary, my father insisted that I must take Library Science because of my grandmother is doing well being one, both professionally and "financially"? And later I would know that my father is right after all.


During high school days, when teachers asked us what we wanted to become, I am the only one in class who would dare say that I'll take up Library Science or Political Science in college. And they were like "Oh I see..." I don't know what they mean by that but I guess it's because most of my classmates are planning to take up either engineering or nursing or accounting. And also because LIS is not common yet that time. I even encountered comments like “So you need a degree to become a librarian? A 4-year course only to look after books?” Most of them don’t have an idea about it at all. Alright, but I don't mind that really.


So I ended up taking Library Science. I wanted to be a high caliber lady lawyer but I just thought that if I'll take Political Science, I can still attend law school but I can't be a librarian. While with Library Science, I can be a librarian and still have a chance to go to law school after some time. So it's like, hitting two birds with one stone.


And now I’m happy being a librarian and I am loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment